Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Unload and raise the Bar

 The new years arrival  didn't catch me off guard this year,  Iv been doing some closet cleaning, prioritizing and soul searching in preparation for the best year yet, 2012!
Take it to the top and raise the bar
In March I will be joining my friends the Eidenhoffer family on a huge trip through the heart of the Grand Canyon. This is a trip I've been dreaming about for years.Since I first laid my eyes on the magical labyrinth, I've always wanted to raft the river.(but I still have little knowledge of boats) I plan on being in peak mental and physical shape and keeping it that way. That means a few lifestyle changes and a fair amount of hard work at the gym, yoga studio and on the trail. So far I have climbed to the top of Mt. Sanits west of Boulder every day of the year.
Dusty trippin out on the scenery atop Sanitas
Even though im skeptical as to whether I can keep up the pace, I've given consideration to trying to climb to some kind of high point each day Preferably for sunrise or sunset but I'm not picky. I'm back on track with my yoga practice and have been swimming and gym climbing a bunch too. Diet is another big issue that needs to be addressed. It doesn't need too much tweaking, just a few conscious changes. Beer consumption is dropping as well as my apatite for sweets just before bed. I haven't had a sip of coffee in 2 weeks, in stead I'm learning to appreciate the calming effects of green tea .In the future I hope to post a more in depth look at my training practice and overall health goals.

Moon-rise or Sun-set, I say both
 Im taking it one step at a time, old habits are hard to break. Last time I checked I was still a single, highly eligible, semi hansom, bachelor too.(achhemm...ladies.) I also look forward to seeing another part of the world this year and add another chapter to my book of international experiences. Right know I'm considering my options and haven't quite chosen where to go  yet, time will tell. Chime in........... Im open to thoughts on how to make this year the best one ever!

Can you believe Iv been layin off coffee


Hidden Falls, we found it!

I also wanted to throw in a couple photos from my  recent trip to Hidden Falls in Rocky Mountain National Park. My good friend Tommy and I left Boulder pre-dawn under a  calm cloudless sky only to exit the car into gale force winds and flying debris 40 minutes later. During the approach we both thought we heard the sound of a bear but saw nothing. With the winter bringing such little snow I wouldn't be surprised if hibernation was abandoned. I was stoked on leading the whole flow from the ground up that day but the wind and a  large piece of rotten wood that loomed above the climb deterred me at the last minute. I climbed the first half of the waterfall  belayed by Tommy and built a basic anchor for a top rope session. We wriggled up a small gully around the corner and hiked to the top to set up another longer top rope on the upper portion of the fall. When I shook the suspect log it tore loose and sent a couple pieces over the edge. I'm glad I chose not to go for the lead,  had a piece of wood fallen I too may have been thrown off.

No comments:

Post a Comment